Saturday 28 February 2009

"Wearing sunglasses at night hurts your eyes after a while"



"black, retro plastic chic at their very best"

Yesterday was a momentous occasion. This years first glimpse of the sun. Ten whole minutes, I swear. People almost had the bucket and spade in one hand, the towel and sun block firmly in the other. But the cloud rolled back in for the weekend- of course- so they were put back in the cupboards to gather a little dust before Summer is upon us.


However, this has turned my thoughts to Sunglasses, and glasses in general. You see, over the last few years, the fashion world has come running into this arena all guns a-blazing. 1960's black-rimmed glasses are 'in' at the moment and I'm afraid to say I have succumbed. I own a pair of (clear plastic) glasses which are saved for evenings when I dress myself in head to toe geek shic; Lumberjack shirt (tucked in), black skinny jeans, big belt, braces - that sort of thing. Technically I don't actually need glasses, but my excuse is they are cool. And I'm not the only one who wears them, so there !

 
I already own my treasured sunglasses for this season; black, retro plastic chic at their very best. You see, the first sentence of this blog entry is an almost lie- last weekend the sun sort-of made a half-hearted attempt to come out. But it was enough. The coat, scarf, beanie hat were all ditched, hopefully not to be seen until next winter. And I decided to give my new pair a little airing, in preparation for the summer- gotta wear them in and all that. They were a big success. 


This craze seems to be a younger generation thing, for now at least. Wearing my little beauties, I was surrounded by their sunglasses brothers and sisters of endless descriptions. Heart shaped ones. Black ones. Yellow ones. Dotted ones. Star-shaped ones. The list could go on, and on. Shop after shop had a rack which was a cosmopolitan collection of glasses of all colours, race and creed. A mini 'Sunglasses World' in the corner of each and every store I entered. Heaven.


Back-in-the-day they were an afterthought, an irrelevance- having glasses was NOT a cool thing. But it's all changed. They are now THE ultimate accessory. They remain glued to the head of any respectable follower of fashion; be it day or night, be you inside or out. You stand out in a crowd. Well that was the initial theory anyway. The more and more people who wear them will ultimately make you (god forbid) blend in to an endless sea of glasses.


But not to worry, by then there will be a new 'must-have' and glasses will have been swapped to something else. Probably something that's been through it all before. But hey, that's fashion. For now I'm just gonna lie back and enjoy it. Hopefully with plentiful sunshine, and a cocktail in hand...

2 comments:

  1. all I need to do to be fashionable is wait for fashion to catch up to me. Cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the best thing about being in London is that fashion is in its own world there- and no matter what you wear, or how much effort went in, you look good!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always muchly appreciated. Please leave a comment.