Friday 27 February 2009

With a gun in your hand



Quote : "It is an absolute bonus to make friends out of colleagues, but we are friends and our relations grow stronger ever day"

Wow, two entry's in a day! It must be a Friday afternoon evening ... 

This one I couldn't resist..

I'm pondering. To what extent should we assist our colleagues in the work place ?! An interesting one. I'm a civil, well mannered kind of guy. When asked by my boss to do something, then I do it. Generally speaking its work-related and there is no reason not to.

However a 40-year old (ish) work colleague asked me today, after pointing out the rather obvious fact that I am younger than her, to collect her printings from the printer today and take them to her desk. OK. Fine. In the rush of the moment I complied.


Afterwards though my actions puzzled me. A perfectly healthy woman (physically at least, the rest is questionable - another time maybe..) asked me to walk the 2 metres she physically couldn't to collect god-knows-what and deliver it to her desk. If I came up with a catchy name and introduced a charge I could start a business surely? Now, if she was 62 and a little decrepit then it would be a different situation entirely. If she was disabled or suffered a condition, then fine, OK, no worries. Not a problem. Really. But my point is she is not and does not, and its not really OK. And I rather feel like a mug. In fact I'm not sure that I even heard a Please or Thank you!!


Needless to say, I was not amused. But after proceeding to forward the following email to a select few colleagues, it lightened my mood a little..

From:
To:
Sent: 27 February 2009 15:49
Subject: New Service..

Good Afternoon

If there is anything you would like me to do please don't hesitate to
ask.

If you would like me to lick your shoes clean, or maybe
dust
off your clothes, or maybe even adjust your chair- give me a
call!




Please call 0800 - F**KIN CHEEK right now. I would love to speak to you!

or visit:
http://www.whatalazycow.com/

Love

Mr.
S.Lave



I'm still chuckling away to myself as we speak.

To point out at this very late stage, I sincerely like this particular work colleague despite the question of her sanity. I like her quirky mannerisms, and her quirky look. This makes me an outsider in my work place, it really does, however this occurrence has left me doubting my judgement.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always muchly appreciated. Please leave a comment.