Monday 16 March 2009

Spring has sprung


It felt  summer-like outside today and it has got me a little excited for the coming season. That, plus a dear friend has just come back from a Caribbean holiday with stories of sunshine and cocktails by the pool. I had basically forgotten what these things were during what has been the coldest winter in the UK for over 12 years..but o doubt her photographs will trigger some sort of memory hidden in the barrens of my brain - memories of sunshine and this ball of fire they apparently call the sun. Don't you just love the summer? So near, yet so very far...

Now, I also love the depth of winter with the cosy, dark nights in. As well as the snowball fights and building snowmen, of course. I really do- I'm an 8 year old child all over again when it happens. But I also love the heat and humidity of deep summer. It's not as fun trying to sleep when its 25oC and very muggy outside - but if it's on a cruise, then the sea air cools you down nicely. This summer I am going to be spoilt with not one, but two cruises. Yes two! What I have done to do deserve this is any body's guess, but I will worry about that later. The first is a 7 day sailing with a group of friends, venturing down to Spain and Portugal, and back up again. In the middle of June it will be plain-sailing and very hot, perfection. It can't come soon enough if you ask me. And this is just a taster. July brings a 2 week Mediterranean cruise taking in Spain, Portugal, South of France, Ibiza and Gibraltar. 14 endless days with sun in my face, cocktail in hand and with the company of the other half. Sheer bliss. Although I have to get myself through Spring first. If the weather is like today then that won't be a problem - Goodbye coats. And scarves and jackets. Bring on the sun shades, shorts and t-shirts please!

I spent 5 days in Reykjavik, Iceland this winter, taking in the most beautiful country I have yet to visit. It was an amazing trip, in a beautiful apartment, but for me you just cant beat cruising. I'm petrified of flying ever since a bad experience saw me hurtling ground-ward on a trip to Milan when I was about 15. Fearing for my life on a plane ride that had seen two people collapse put a dampener on the whole experience for me, and it's never been the same since. But regardless of that, a cruise means you can take in a new country almost every day. Go in the summer and most of Europe pretty much guarantees you blistering sunshine and smooth seas, if that's your thing. No cramped seat on a plane with no legroom, no stressful journey through the airport being prodded by securtiy and no getting lost god knows how many times on the M25 trying to find the place. The food on a cruise is 5 star, and right on your doorstep. No washing up, great entertainment, two pools, a few Jacuzzis and crew that remember not only your name, but your drink of choice to. The list really goes on. 

As I enjoy this early spring sunshine be assured I shall be day-dreaming of the long summer days to come, especially those aboard the Balmoral on my two cruises...Bon Voyage!

7 comments:

  1. I like the change in font color. Better on the eye in gray. (Assuming it's not my imagination that it was white.) Happy smile right back at you. have a great trip(s) this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha not your imagination, I was struggling yo find a font colour that went with the back background and was easier...so glad I finally found a good combo!

    Thanks for the comment, you got any vacations this year?!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photo! And thanks for teasing us with your marvelous summer plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, thanks for sharing this wonderful and useful information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really a great post.I liked it and i will share it with others too.
    1970 Chevrolet Bel Air AC Compressor

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a better-quality article as they all are. I make fun of been wonder wide this an eye to some beat now. Its great to receive this info. You are fair and balanced.

    Dodge Pick-Up Turbo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always muchly appreciated. Please leave a comment.