Thursday 12 March 2009

Fat United 0 - 0 Skinny Wanderers


I don't know how you think, but why is it that as human beings most of us are never happy with who we are? I know good looking people, and I know ugly people. I know fat people, and I know skinny people. My family and friends, and all those in my life, are every size, shape and colour under the sun. The one thing that unites them all? The very fact that not one of them is truly happy with who they are- like me. I am beginning to wonder why as human beings we worry about every single part of our selves; our shape, our size, our colour. In a way that we don't with those around is.

Its the same the world over - In the Philippines they bleach their skin white. In the West we bleach our skins orange, or lie in the un until we are tickled pink, or red raw. And the number of Fake tan bottles sold each year must surely outnumber the ones filled with water. Mankind simply want what we can't have. Skinny girls desperately want the curves that curvaceous girls crave to lose. Confusing yes? But put simply, we can see the beauty in those around us easily, but struggle to find that same beauty in our own bodies. Which I think is very sad.

What does it matter anyways? What we look like shouldn't be what drives our lives, right? It's who we are as a person and what we do in our life. But let me be honest for one second. Image really does matter in this society whether we face up to it or not.

You see, I hate my own body and want to be skinny like my partner. But my partner hates being too skinny and would like to be a slightly bigger build like me. But shouldn't we all just accept who we are, and embrace the body we were born into? After all there is little I can do about my frame- woman's hips I affectionately call them - my bone frame won't ever change regardless of how much I eat. If I lost more weight then my bones would be poking out, but I still wouldn't be the 30inch waist I wanna be. Some people eat endless junk without  putting on a single pound. Others only have to look at chocolate cake and they have already gained one. I need to get use to this, and fast!

Naturally I think my partner is gorgeous, and vice versa, but neither of us would stand up naked and be proud of ourselves. Trust me, I wish I could. I recently lost a stone and for a while stood on top of a very image conscience world. But it didn't last long. I was soon sucked back into self depreciation and despite being the same size as I was a week ago, I now find myself fearing those dreaded scales once more. I now feel as if the mirror was lying to me the whole time. I thought I looked good for all of 5 minutes. It all goes back to our society- we are on one hand constantly told that we can look better, and magazines guide us towards the ultra-skinny lollipop head role models taht feature on page after page. But the confusing thing is that the backlash against this has victimised those who are naturally skinny and led to the contradictory claim that big is in fact better. 

So what is best? Skeleton or curvaceous? Black, orange or white?  The answer is simple: none of them. Every single human being, no matter what their size, colour or race is a beautiful creation. We shouldn't embrace these false idealisms, and instead be happy with what and who we are. I haven't said it is easy, I'm definitely struggling at the moment, but I'm going to do my best to change this. I truly want to be happy with who I am, and not feel inadequate or inferior to those around me. Yes every single one of them are beautiful, but I need to start realising that I am too. We all are. Fat vs Skinny? 0-0. It's a goalless draw.

2 comments:

  1. LOVED IT :D hahh sorry for being a bit TOO enthusiastic there, but i enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good point of view (y)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always muchly appreciated. Please leave a comment.